About 6 months ago a colleague forwarded an email from the Environmental Society at work, looking for people who were interested in purchasing a wormery. I’ve had my eye on one for ages, so I leapt at the chance, looking forward to converting my kitchen waste into high powered vermicompost for the allotment. The ordering process took a long time, but finally, just as the weather’s getting colder and the allotment’s about to slow down for the winter, I find myself in possession of both wormery and worms, much to the amusement (and shuddering) of my colleagues.
It’s not, to be honest, the greatest moment to be trying to get a wormery up and running. After all, the worms don’t really like the cold and the nighttime termperatures are dropping fast. With that in mind, I set it up in the shed, where it’s a little more protected, and I’m planning to add some additional insulation to try and keep the worms going.
I set up the wormery on top of the freezer, added some coir to the try and then came the moment of truth. I opened up the bag, and peered inside. Well, all I could see was dark soil. So I picked up the bag, and turned it upside down. Out fell a bundle of soil mixed with shredded papers and plenty of wriggly worms, who wasted no times in exploring their new habitat. For all those who have been curious about the size of the worms…. well, they’re pretty standard worm size, which is to say 3-4 inches long.
Now to see if I can keep them alive though the winter. I’m guessing that the post room at the office wasn’t overjoyed at receiving a couple kilos of worms!